ELIZABETH CITY, PASQUOTANK COUNTY - A man shot one of his stepsons after they broke into his home, Elizabeth City Police said. The man also accidentally shot his wife during the exchange.
According to investigators, DeQuan Whidbee and 24-year-old Thomas Whidbee, Jr. kicked the front door of Alonzo Graham's residence at River Breeze Mobile home Park. The break-in happened at about 3:18 p.m. Sunday, police said.
Graham, the suspects' stepfather, then confronted his intruders and shot Dequan Whidbee in the leg with a shotgun, according to investigators. Graham also accidentally shot his wife, Dawn Whidbee, who is the mother of the suspects. She was found in a vehicle near the home, police said.
Dequan Whidbee was taken to Norfolk Sentara General Hospital in Norfolk, Va., where he underwent surgery, investigators said. He and his brother, Thomas, are charged with breaking and entering and communicating threats.
Their mother, Dawn, was treated and released from Albemarle Hospital in Elizabeth City.
Graham turned himself in to police and was released. At last check, no charges had been filed against him.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend