GOLDSBORO, WAYNE COUNTY - Police said they arrested a man who locked a woman inside a Wayne County barn and tried to sexually assault her.
According to investigators, the 28-year-old La Grange woman was at a party on Harris Street in Goldsboro Sunday. But police said the man who lives at the home, 68-year-old Roland Whitley, locked the victim in a barn behind his residence after the party, and tried to sexually assault her.
Police said the victim used a screwdriver to escape and walked off with a bottle of liquor belonging to Whitley. The suspect then got into his vehicle and found the victim down the street, where he confronted her and stole her purse, investigators said.
Police arrested Whitley at his home on Tuesday. He has been charged with first-degree kidnapping, attempted second-degree sexual offense, and larceny from the person. Whitley was placed in the Wayne County Jail under a $50,000.00 secured bond, police said.
The suspect's first court appearance was scheduled for Wednesday.
- Updated North Korean ministries plotted Kim's death, spies say
- Updated NAACP to hold news conferences announcing boycott
- Updated Bergdahl lawyers will ask U.S. Army court to dismiss case
- Trayvon Martin's death five years later
- NC Emergency Management Reps in Snow Hill to help with recovery applications