HAVELOCK, CRAVEN COUNTY - Investigators have arrested a Craven County man for allegedly performing sex acts on a 4-year-old child.
According to Havelock Police Chief G. Wayne Cyrus, 64-year-old Stephen Heidtman, of Brown Boulevard, was taken into custody last week. He has been charged with statutory sexual offense by an adult with a child.
Chief Cyrus said Heidtman committed the sex crimes at his home in late spring or early summer of 2012. The child's mother then contacted the Craven County Department of Social Services, which informed police on Aug. 19, investigators said.
Heidtman was being held in the Craven County Jail under a $500,000 bond. If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison, according to Chief Cyrus.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County