HAVELOCK, CRAVEN COUNTY - Investigators have arrested a Craven County man for allegedly performing sex acts on a 4-year-old child.
According to Havelock Police Chief G. Wayne Cyrus, 64-year-old Stephen Heidtman, of Brown Boulevard, was taken into custody last week. He has been charged with statutory sexual offense by an adult with a child.
Chief Cyrus said Heidtman committed the sex crimes at his home in late spring or early summer of 2012. The child's mother then contacted the Craven County Department of Social Services, which informed police on Aug. 19, investigators said.
Heidtman was being held in the Craven County Jail under a $500,000 bond. If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison, according to Chief Cyrus.
- Updated Court sets September 13 deadline for Clinton FBI emails
- Updated Kinston welcomes professional baseball back to Grainger Stadium
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay
- Updated Trump: No legal status for undocumented immigrants