KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Police have arrested a man who who allegedly robbed a tobacco store and stole the clerk's vehicle.
Karl Lee Covington, Jr., 21, of Springfield, Mass., was armed with two knives when he robbed The Tobacco Cove on Hardee Road in Kinston. The crime happened at about 5:33 p.m. on Monday, police said.
According to the store clerk, Covington attacked him. But the clerk said he was able to free himself. Covington then allegedly stole an undisclosed amount of cash and jewelry before escaping in the clerk's vehicle.
Police said they arrested Covington at about 5:10 a.m. Tuesday on West Vernon Avenue. The suspect was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, and was being held under a $60,000 secured bond.
The clerk's 2003 GMC Envoy was recovered at Harvey Circle, police said.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death
- Syria barrel bomb attack: At least 16 killed at wake in Aleppo