NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - New Bern Police are investigating a reported rape at a popular playground.
Police were called to a New Bern hospital last Tuesday to investigate the reported sexual assault.
The alleged victim, a 17-year-old girl, told police she was raped Tuesday evening at approximately 6 p.m. inside the outdoor bathroom of the Kidsville playground, 1225 Pine Tree Dr.
The playground is adjacent to the West New Bern Recreation Center.
The girl told police that she had seen her attacker before at the center, but was not in any sort of relationship with him.
She told investigators that she needed to use the restroom, the man followed her in, forced his way into the stall she occupied, and raped her as she repeatedly told him "no."
The victim hid in the bathroom for a short time after her attacker left.
She went home and told her mother what happened; her mother took her to the hospital.
A rape kit was performed, and police took a DNA sample from the suspect.
The suspect has not been charged, as police wait for the return of the DNA results.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball