KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Police have released the name of a man shot and killed in Kinston Monday night.
The Kinston Department of Public Safety said they got the call of the shooting at about 10:30 p.m. Monday.
When officers arrived at a home at 706 Williams St., they found 30-year-old Devon Jones (pictured) lying on the floor with a gunshot wound in his back, police said. The home was also struck several times by gunfire, investigators added.
Jones was pronounced dead at the scene, said police.
Neighbors said gunfire is a regular occurrence in the area. Pauline Jackson lives next-door and said she fell out of her bed when she heard the gunshots because she was afraid a stray bullet could hit her home.
"You're scared to walk the street," Jackson said. "You can't go to the store, you don't know whether you're going to make it back or not."
Police said the investigation is ongoing. At last check, no arrest had been made. There is no word on a motive.
Anyone with information is asked to call Commander Tim Dilday with the Kinston Department of Public Safety at 252-939-3213.
- Updated Suicide attacks kill dozens in Syrian city of Homs
- Updated Pence pledges to 'keep our end of the bargain' with top Jewish supporters
- Witness recalls moments before, after Olathe shooting
- Teen wants to be guardian of sister after both parents die
- Prosecutors question NYC mayor in federal probe