WINDSOR, BERTIE COUNTY - Police have identified the two men accused of robbing a bank in Bertie County, then leading authorities on a high-speed chase.
Michael Rankins and William Twine, both of Edenton, have been arrested for allegedly robbing the Wells Fargo on King Street in Windsor Thursday afternoon.
According to the chief of Windsor Police, the two men entered the bank at about 4:24 p.m. Thursday. The suspects then demanded money, police said. One of the robbers allegedly displayed a firearm.
But a bank employee was able to run to a public library and called 911, said investigators.
The robbers left the bank with an undisclosed amount of money, police said. No one inside the bank was injured.
Police told NewsChannel 12 witnesses outside the bank were able to provide a description of the suspects' vehicle and which way it headed.
Police said they then worked with the Bertie County Sheriff's Office and the Highway Patrol to pursue the suspects. A high-speed chase ensued on Highway 17, but the robbers lost control of their vehicle within minutes, causing it to overturn, police said. The suspects got out and tried to escape on foot, but were arrested, according to investigators.
- Updated Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS
- Ryan Lochte's new endorsement deal is for crime prevention device
- Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results