MOREHEAD CITY - A high school student was arrested for allegedly bringing drugs to campus and punching a resource officer after a struggle, police said.
According to investigators, 17-year-old Justin Hudnell, of Morehead City, brought marijuana to West Carteret High School Monday morning. A resource officer then confronted Hudnell about the drugs, police said. But during a struggle, the suspect allegedly punched the officer, before running off.
A K-9 officer and his dog tracked Hudnell into a wooded area, behind R-N-R Watercraft Repair on Wayne Drive in Morehead City, and he was arrested at about 11 a.m., police said.
The suspect was placed in jail under a $15,000 bond. He was charged with assault on a law enforcement officer, resist/obstruct/delay, possession with intent to sell/manufacture marijuana, attempting to steal criminal evidence. According to police, the last two charges were felonies.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend