GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Police said they have arrested three men who forced themselves into a Greenville home with three children inside and stole presents Christmas morning.
According to the Greenville Police Department, 32-year-old Demetrius Montez Heath, 22-year-old Lamar Jaquan Hines, and 26-year-old Donta Jerrell Purvis have been charged for the home invasion on Hooker Road. Officers got the call at about 1:45 a.m. Christmas morning.
Three children, all younger than 11 years old, were inside the home at the time, along with a 31-year-old woman, police said. They were not injured.
The suspects, one of whom was displaying a handgun, took electronics, toys, clothes and jewelery, some of which were Christmas presents, investigators said.
Police said they were able to arrest the three suspects within an hour thanks to witnesses providing detailed descriptions of the getaway car. Police said they stopped the suspect's Dodge Charger when it was traveling south on Hooker Road. The suspects were taken into custody at the entrance of Winslow Apartments.
Police do not believe the crime was random. They said they are investigating the possibility that the suspects were involved in other crimes throughout Eastern Carolina.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- New State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day