NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Police said they are actively searching for a man who robbed a New Bern bank Friday afternoon.
According to investigators, the man robbed the Vantage South Bank at 1801 S. Glenburnie Rd. at about 12:14 p.m.
The suspect gave a bank teller a note demanding money, indicated that he had a weapon, and escaped with an unknown amount of money, police said. No weapons were visible and no injuries were reported.
The suspect is described as a black male, about 6-foot-2 and 275 pounds, wearing a wide brimmed fishing hat, brown sunglasses, khaki pants and a runner's style jacket, said police. He was carrying a blue lunch box.
A K-9 unit was on scene to help find the suspect.
H.J. MacDonald Middle School and Craven Early College were on lockdown following the incident, but the lockdowns have since been lifted, school officials said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the New Bern Police Department Criminal Investigation Unit at 252-633-2022.
- Updated Police monitoring crosswalks and school zones on first day
- Updated Mark Zuckerberg hopes to demo his AI butler next month
- Updated Woman sues Milwaukee Brewers over foul ball incident
- Updated Japan's first passenger jet had a nightmare weekend
- Updated Study: Most adults with depression aren't treated