WILMINGTON - Police say a father drove his six-year-old child on the back of a motorcycle from Jacksonville to Wilmington and then passed out while leaving his child to play in a parking lot.
Wilmington Police say they found the child at 8:48 Monday night in the parking lot outside of the Dollar Store on College Road in Wilmington. Witnesses told the officers the six-year-old child had been left in the parking lot and had been playing with toy cars for several hours.
While attempting to locate a parent, officers found Jonathan Curtman, the child's biological father, passed out in some nearby bushes. Officers say they also located two packets of "Spice" in Curtman's pockets.
The investigation revealed Curtman, 28, had brought the child from Jacksonville to Wilmington on the back of his motorcycle. He apparently bought some toy cars at the store and told the child to play on the ground behind the parked motorcycle. Curtman then went over to the bushes and passed out.
Curtman was arrested for child abuse and placed under a $5,000 secure bond. He remains in custody as of Tuesday afternoon. The child was released to the custody of the child's mother.
- Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- New labels warn against mixing opioids, benzodiazepines
- Mark Zuckerberg's visit gives Nigerian startups much-needed boost
- Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father-in-law