JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A Jacksonville woman has been charged with child abuse because her son swallowed crack cocaine, police said.
According to warrants from the Jacksonville Police Department, officers arrested 27-year-old Teara Mayfield on Friday.
The warrants state that on May 4, Mayfield failed to tell medical personnel that her son swallowed crack cocaine. The boy suffered for more than two hours and required additional care, according to the arrest warrants.
The warrants only say the boy is under 16 years of age; an exact age is not given.
Mayfield has been charged with felony negligent child abuse causing serious physical injury and misdemeanor child abuse, the warrants say. She was being held at the Onslow County Jail under a $ 5,000 bond.
Mayfield is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning.
- USO of Onslow County keeps tradition going with Thanksgiving meal
- Fairfield Harbour continues tradition of feeding Marines at Camp Lejeune
- Peaden's Grill helps make Thanksgiving special at one area community center
- Shoppers busy as Black Friday now in full effect
- New Bern woman shares story to remind people to pay attention while shopping