DURHAM, DURHAM COUNTY - Police say they have arrested a North Carolina mother after her 9-year-old son was fatally shot while he and his brother were playing with a gun.
ABC-affiliate WTVD reports Durham Police arrested Amy Suzanne Pittman on Rock Street Wednesday morning.
Her 9-year-old son, Christian Pittman, was playing with a gun with his brother when he was accidentally shot, police said. It happened on April 28 at a home on Macon Street in Durham, according to WTVD.
Christian was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said three children were home at the time of the shooting, but Amy Pittman was not home.
Pittman is charged with one count of voluntary manslaughter, three counts of felony child abuse - gross negligence, three counts of misdemeanor child abuse, three counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and one count of failure to store firearms to protect minors.
She was indicted by a grand jury on Tuesday and is being held Wednesday in the Durham County Jail under a $100,000 bond.
Christian was born in Durham and was a student at Glenn Elementary School. In addition to his mother, he is survived by two brothers, a sister, a grandfather and other family members, according to his obituary.
- Updated Police monitoring crosswalks and school zones on first day
- Updated Mark Zuckerberg hopes to demo his AI butler next month
- Updated Woman sues Milwaukee Brewers over foul ball incident
- Updated Japan's first passenger jet had a nightmare weekend
- Updated Study: Most adults with depression aren't treated