BETHEL, PITT COUNTY - A couple is in jail at the Pitt County Detention Center after police say they are involved in abusing a 17 month old girl.
Bethel Police say Latoya Kechelle Carter was arrested on Wednesday night following a child abuse investigation. Police say her boyfriend, Frederick Ray Givens, Jr. turned himself into authorities on Thursday afternoon.
The infant who police say was injured is Carter's daughter.
Bethel Police Chief, Troy Strickland, tells has the infant received blunt trauma to the stomach area.
Police say the child had multiple serious injuries and required emergency surgery at Vidant Medical Center on Thursday, Nov. 7.
Carter has been charged with felony intentional child abuse causing serious bodily injury and felony common law obstruction of justice. She is being held on a $310,000 secured bond at the Pitt County Detention Center.
Givens has been charged with felony intentional child abuse causing serious bodily injury and is being held on a $100,000 secured bond at the Pitt County Detention Center.
Chief Strickland says the infant is being cared for by a family member and being monitored by social services.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend