BETHEL, PITT COUNTY - A couple is in jail at the Pitt County Detention Center after police say they are involved in abusing a 17 month old girl.
Bethel Police say Latoya Kechelle Carter was arrested on Wednesday night following a child abuse investigation. Police say her boyfriend, Frederick Ray Givens, Jr. turned himself into authorities on Thursday afternoon.
The infant who police say was injured is Carter's daughter.
Bethel Police Chief, Troy Strickland, tells has the infant received blunt trauma to the stomach area.
Police say the child had multiple serious injuries and required emergency surgery at Vidant Medical Center on Thursday, Nov. 7.
Carter has been charged with felony intentional child abuse causing serious bodily injury and felony common law obstruction of justice. She is being held on a $310,000 secured bond at the Pitt County Detention Center.
Givens has been charged with felony intentional child abuse causing serious bodily injury and is being held on a $100,000 secured bond at the Pitt County Detention Center.
Chief Strickland says the infant is being cared for by a family member and being monitored by social services.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple says 'I do'
- Updated Donald Trump: Mika must apologize for 'gang attack' on Pastor Mark Burns