GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Police said they have charged a father after his 6-year-old son shot himself with a handgun.
The child's parents told Greenville Police their son got a hold of a .40 caliber handgun from the master bedroom of their home at Cherry Court Wednesday. According to investigators, the parents said the weapon was usually secured with a gunlock.
Police said while the parents were in another room, the 6-year-old boy accidentally shot himself in the hand while playing with the gun. The child was taken to Vidant Medical Center Wednesday night, but his condition was not released.
The boy's father, Andre Mooring, was arrested and charged with failing to store a firearm to protect a minor. Mooring was released on a $1,000 bond.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn