NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - There will soon be a new place to gather and play in New Bern.
The New Bern Board of Aldermen approved plans for a park and fountain at the intersection of Pollock and Queen Streets. The park will include street lights and eight trees.
The City of New Bern will maintain the park, and all the funds for building will come from donations and grants.
Although there were concerns that the fountain might delay traffic, a motion was passed that would allow the city to move the fountain at any time. With this approval, the Parks and Recreation Department can now pursue funding.
City Manager Mark Stephens said the park is estimated to cost about $150,000.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple says 'I do'
- Updated Donald Trump: Mika must apologize for 'gang attack' on Pastor Mark Burns