After a promotion ceremony Monday morning, Captain Paula Dance became Major Paula Dance with the Pitt County Sheriff's Department.
She is the first African-American woman in the county to reach that rank.
Sheriff Neil Elks celebrated her accomplishment and her contribution to the department in a pinning ceremony.
A statement from the department points to Dance's credentials and job performance as the reasons for her promotion. It states, "She has been instrumental in taking the units which she oversees and refining them with her leadership, all the while, guiding others to be strong leaders within the agency."
Because of the promotion, other changes will be made within the department.
Lieutenant Malcolm Carmichael will be promoted to Captain of Investigations, and Sergeant Chad Suggs will be promoted to Lieutenant of Investigations.
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Updated Duplin County man arrested for drugs, guns and explosives
- Updated Viewer captures photos, video of manatees in Pine Knoll Shores
- Updated Bill Cosby is legally blind, according to defense attorneys
- Updated Stocks sink on Clinton email bombshell