PITT COUNTY - A Pitt County man accused of sexually assaulting a child has been arrested a decade after the alleged crimes happened.
According to the Pitt County Sheriff's Office, 41-year-old Melvin Joyner has been charged with sex offense on a child under 13 and indecent liberties with a child.
Investigators said they received a report on Oct. 24, 2013 from a juvenile who said he was sexually assaulted when he was younger. The juvenile said the sex crimes happened between April 1, 2003 and June 30, 2004, and identified Joyner as the suspect, deputies said.
Joyner was being jailed being held on a $1 million bond as of Thursday morning.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating