AYDEN, PITT COUNTY - A fire at a Pitt County business caused heavy damage to the building and destroyed an ambulance, investigators said.
It happened at Ayden Diesel on Jolly Road in Ayden just before 9 p.m. Tuesday. Fire officials told NewsChannel 12 the building suffered significant smoke damage.
First responders said an ambulance inside the building was on fire when they arrived at the scene. They said that fire was quickly put out, but the ambulance was a total loss.
Investigators were working to determine the cause of the fire.
- Updated Tornado warnings issued for Duplin, Tyrrell, Dare counties.
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Seven Springs man dies after fight with detention officers