PITT COUNTY - The bridge over the Tar River in Pitt County has reopened after ice closed it Thursday morning.
Emergency crews said they responded to a minor wreck on the bridge, located on Highway 222 in Falkland, just after 8 a.m. Thursday. While there were no major injuries in the accident, the crash blocked traffic on the bridge.
When responders got to the scene, they realized the bridge was completely iced over, officials said.
Department of Transportation workers have since melted the ice and the bridge is back open.
- Updated Brexit: 4.2 million migrants still wait to learn their fate
- New Onslow County man facing larceny, other charges
- Updated Iraqi forces take key village near airport from ISIS
- Updated 'Stand your ground' hearing opens in Fla. theater shooting
- New Winterville Police looking for suspect in Subway robbery