PITT COUNTY - The bridge over the Tar River in Pitt County has reopened after ice closed it Thursday morning.
Emergency crews said they responded to a minor wreck on the bridge, located on Highway 222 in Falkland, just after 8 a.m. Thursday. While there were no major injuries in the accident, the crash blocked traffic on the bridge.
When responders got to the scene, they realized the bridge was completely iced over, officials said.
Department of Transportation workers have since melted the ice and the bridge is back open.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday