BEAUFORT COUNTY - A petition has been filed to challenge a state permit that would allow a Vanceboro mine to put wastewater into a popular fishing creek.
The petition is one of many steps to challenge the permit. Boaters and people living near Blounts Creek in Beaufort County are concerned the project will deplete water levels and hurt marine life.
The Martin Marietta Material's vice president says the water would be acclimated to the surroundings by the time it reaches the creek. The VP says they are not trying to make a mess and then leave the area.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend