CRAVEN COUNTY - A person was burned at a manufacturing facility in Craven County Wednesday morning.
According to Stanley Kite, the director of Craven County Emergency Services, the person suffered a torch burn at Urethane Innovators, located at 403 Industrial Drive, off Highway 70 just west of New Bern.
The victim has second-degree burns, Kite said.
Tom Coulson, the general manager of the facility, explained what happened.
"We had an individual that actually used a torch over a drum and apparently, some vapors were inside that drum that ignited," Coulson said. "We don't know what those vapors are. They should not have been in there because it was a non-hazardous waste drum, so we are investigating, trying to find out exactly what was in it. But there was not a chemical spill or burn or whatever. It was just a flash burn."
The victim's identity has not been released.
No one else was injured, Kite said.
According to its website, Urethane Innovators specializes in cast urethane products-- including rollers, wheels, dunnage, bearings, belts, gears and custom prototyping.
- Updated Microsoft expected to launch a Surface PC, Windows 10 updates
- Updated Calais Jungle: Fires rage in migrant camp
- Updated What it takes to work at a haunted house
- Updated Clinton attends Adele concert, singer says 'I am 100%' for her
- Updated Dreamworld accident: victims of theme park tragedy named