KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A pastor who is also an employee of the Boys & Girls Club is accused of sex crimes against a child.
The Kinston Department of Public Safety said officers arrested 39-year-old Telas Ray Staten on Monday for statutory sexual offense, indecent liberties with a child, and crimes against nature.
Police said the victim is a male juvenile.
According to police, Staten told investigators he is employed at the Lenoir County Boys & Girls Club, and is a pastor at St. Matthews Church of Christ in New Bern.
Staten was placed in the Lenoir County Jail under a $510,000.00 secured bond. His first appearance was scheduled for Tuesday morning.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Clinton Foundation official plays defense over accusations
- Updated Richlands Piggly Wiggly owner dies in his Emerald Isle home