BATTERY ISLAND, BRUNSWICK COUNTY - A ferry ran aground in Brunswick County Tuesday morning, causing more than a dozen passengers to be taken to a hospital.
According to the Coast Guard, the 64-foot "Adventure" was going from Southport to Bald Head Island when it ran aground near Battery Island. The scene is about 30 miles south of Wilmington. Crews on the boat called the Coast Guard at about 9 a.m. Tuesday.
ABC-affiliate WWAY reports that 31 people were on the ferry at the time of impact, and they were thrown around the boat. Emergency crews took 14 passengers to the hospital, including one who had to be airlifted. There is no word on the victims' conditions.
Officials are investigating what caused the vessel to run aground.
- Updated Trump's path to 270 runs through ... Maine?
- Updated WikiLeaks-released memo outlines Bill Clinton's lucrative speeches
- Updated Hillary Clinton to hold election night party under real glass ceiling
- Tequila, dance parties and Adele: Hillary Clinton finally lets loose
- Dems sue GOP over Trump's 'rigged' complaints