WASHINGTON - Beaufort County Emergency Management said a family of four is displaced following a house fire.
EMS Director John Pack said the fire happened at Perkins Road in Washington overnight. Fire crews were dispatched just after midnight, Pack said.
Mike Moore says he heard crackling noise coming from his roof in the den area as he was heading to bed. He says when he went outside to check things out, he saw nothing but flames.
The Moore's were able to escape with their three dogs.
The fire wasn't put out until after 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. About 50 firefighters were on scene at any time during the night to help with the efforts; 80 firefighters total were called to assist. Crews had to take shifts due to the cold temperatures.
Moore's uncle, John Ranon told News Channel 12, he rushed to his nephews house when he heard the news.
"Just one of those things I guess," said Ronan. "It happened, but when this wild weather comes people have to remember [you] got to keep your kerosene heaters away from your drapes ,away from your furniture, away from anything flammable. Don't plug them into extension cords, that's the worst thing cause if your extension cord over heats and causes a fire you'll wake up tomorrow morning [and] this is what's going to be happening at your place."
The home is a total loss; John Pack said the fire started from a wood stove.
The family of four got out safely; no injuries reported in the incident.
- New Self-driving truck hauls 51,744 cans of beer
- Updated Donald Trump says he will dramatically ramp up donations in final stretch of campaign
- Updated Administration pushes back on criticism of Obamacare rate hikes
- Updated Governor tours storm damage, celebrates openig of Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston
- Updated Report: Marlins pitcher's body had strong alcohol odor