JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A deputy with the Onslow County Sheriff's Office died in court while serving as a bailiff Tuesday afternoon.
According to Sheriff Ed Brown, Deputy Steve Black was serving as a bailiff at the Onslow County Courthouse at 109 Old Bridge St. in Jacksonville. But at about 2 p.m. Tuesday, Deputy Black suffered a medical issue and died in court, Sheriff Brown said.
Sheriff Brown said the exact cause of death is unknown.
The Onslow County Sheriff's Office released the following statement:
"Deputy Black was an honorable and dependable deputy, who served the Onslow County Sheriff's Office for 12 years with pride until his death [Tuesday]. The Onslow County Sheriff's Office would like to thank all the citizens who have offered their condolences."
Funeral arrangements have not made at this time.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal