JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - At the start of every school year, United Way of Onslow County gives new school supplies to children.
This year those donations are down, and the number of needy children are up.
The "Stuff the Bus" school supplies drive will help 400 local school children in Onslow County.
New school supply donations will help these children have the basic tools for school and fit in with their peers.
Once school supplies and donations have been collected, local volunteers will sort and fill boxes with the supplies.
They will then be given to Onslow County Schools for distribution.
"It's really important that all of us give a little bit. Not everyone can give everything, but everyone can give something and even if it's a pack of pencils or an eraser it's going to make a difference for a kid that's in our school system," said Volunteer Onslow Director Nicole Jones.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Updated Lochte's presence is desired by Brazilian authorities
- Updated Heroin seizure a 'substantial' dent in opioid epidemic
- Updated Jimmy Carter, rebuilding after cancer
- New Binghamton University: 'Stop White People' event was 'ironic'