CRAVEN COUNTY - In a statement Wednesday the city of New Bern confirmed the death of its first and only female mayor, Ella Bengel.
Bengel served as mayor of New Bern from 1985-1989. Previously, Bengel served as Alderman for the 5th Ward for four two-year terms. Bengel was the mother of Steve Bengel and mother-in-law of current 1st Ward New Bern Alderman Sabrina Bengel. Bengel is also survived by three daughters.
Visitation for Bengel will be held Thursday 6-8 p.m. at Cotten Funeral Home, located in the 2200 block of Neuse Boulevard. Funeral services for Bengel are scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at the Tabernacle Baptist Church in the 600 block of Broad Street. Burial is scheduled to follow the service at the New Bern Memorial Cemetery.
Bengel was 86.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County