CRAVEN COUNTY - A woman who was illegally burning trash in two barrels started a brush fire, officials said.
It happened before noon in Harlowe when the woman left the barrels unattended for several minutes, fire officials said.
The fire threatened five structures; three of them were homes.
The woman owned all of them, none of which burned. One, however, did have siding melt on one site.
It's undetermined if she'll face charges. Multiple units responded to put out the flames.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County