TRENTON, JONES COUNTY - Investigators said a 39-year-old man, killed in a Jones County crash Monday morning, was delivering newspapers when he fell asleep and hit a tree.
According to authorities, Rockel Garner died in the accident on Middle Road in Trenton, west of the Wilcox Bridge. Investigators said they got the call after 5:00 a.m.
Garner worked as a delivery man for the Kinston Free Press.
Garner's wife, Sheri, said he was well-loved in the community.
"His ministry was children, his ministry was to reach out to the ones that didn't have people to reach out to," Sheri Garner said. "He was the one if they needed someone to talk to, he was right there."
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend