TRENTON, JONES COUNTY - Investigators said a 39-year-old man, killed in a Jones County crash Monday morning, was delivering newspapers when he fell asleep and hit a tree.
According to authorities, Rockel Garner died in the accident on Middle Road in Trenton, west of the Wilcox Bridge. Investigators said they got the call after 5:00 a.m.
Garner worked as a delivery man for the Kinston Free Press.
Garner's wife, Sheri, said he was well-loved in the community.
"His ministry was children, his ministry was to reach out to the ones that didn't have people to reach out to," Sheri Garner said. "He was the one if they needed someone to talk to, he was right there."
- Updated Christian bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' lose discrimination appeal
- Updated Parent punches student in the stomach in a school hallway, then just walks away
- Singer Kellie Pickler's father arrested in eastern N.C.
- Spidey-strength: Aussie arachnid carts off mouse-sized snack
- Battle for Mosul: How ISIS is fighting to keep its Iraqi stronghold