FARMVILLE, PITT COUNTY -

A man trying to defrost pipes with a blowtorch started a fire that damaged his Pitt County home Friday morning, said investigators.

The fire happened at about 9:27 a.m. Friday on the 3500 block of S. Waverly St. in Farmville.

According to the Farmville Fire Department, the homeowner was using a blowtorch to defrost pipes under his bathtub. But some of the insulation then caught fire. The flames spread to the bedroom and bathroom of the home, where they were contained, said fire crews.

Two people lived at the home and were not injured, said fire officials. They are staying with relatives.

The home is not a total loss, firefighters said.