JAMES CITY, CRAVEN COUNTY - Lightning caused a tree to catch fire early Tuesday morning, according to Craven County dispatchers.
The lightning strike was reported at about 4:20 a.m. Tuesday on the 600 block of Thurman Road, off Highway 70 in James City, dispatchers said. The fire was confined to the top of the tree. At last check, officials said there were no structures affected.
The lightning was reported as heavy storms and downpours pounded Eastern Carolina overnight into the morning hours Tuesday.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend