KINSTON - Kinston fire officials report no injuries after investigating two house fire overnight.
Kinston Assistant Fire Chief Don Crawford says the first fire was reported around 11:30 Sunday night at 600 N. Adkin St.
Crawford said the fire started in a bedroom and was contained to that room. One person was home and officials believe it may have been a mattress fire. There's no word on how it started.
No injuries were reported.
Officials say the fire is under investigation but they do not believe the fire is suspicious.
Fire crews responded to a second fire just a few hours later at 1206 E. Bright Street in the same area.
Crews responded to the vacant house on Bright Street just after 6 o'clock Monday morning. Crawford says the home was fully involved when firefighters arrived and is a total loss.
There were no injuries reported and the fire remains under investigation.
At this time the Assistant Fire Chief says he does not believe the fires are connected.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response