SNOW HILL, GREENE COUNTY - A gas leak that prompted the evacuation of a Greene County school has been fixed.
According to emergency officials, a resident digging in a front yard to repair a sewer line accidentally cut a gas line instead. This caused Snow Hill Primary School to be evacuated Monday morning as a precautionary measure, according to Superintendent Patrick C. Miller.
All Pre-K and kindergarten students were transferred to West Greene Elementary School, said Miller. First-graders were taken to Greene County Intermediate School. No injuries were reported.
The evacuated students were fed at those schools and returned to Snow Hill Primary in the afternoon, emergency officials said.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal