New Bern, Craven County - City of New Bern Director of Public Utilities, John Rynne, says 1,500 homes were without power Sunday afternoon after a driver struck a utility pole snapping it in half.
Sgt. Jason Williams with New Bern Police says the wreck happened at 11:47 a.m. in the 800 block of George Street.
Utility officials say the pole is on one of the city's main feeder lines. Power customers along Trent Road, in downtown New Bern and into James City were in the dark for hours Sunday afternoon. Rynne says crews worked to repair the pole and replace equipment restoring all power by 3:30 p.m.
There is no word at this time on the cause of the wreck or if the driver suffered any injuries.
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Greater New Bern Business Expo attracts thousands
- Updated Five years since Hurricane Irene made landfall in Eastern Carolina
- Updated Funeral for mother and three children murdered in Greenville
- In presidential elections, size doesn't always matter