NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A mother and three kids were inside their van when it became engulfed in flames Thursday in Craven County.
According to an official with the New Bern Fire Department, the mom and her three children were traveling on Highway 55 when a driver behind them noticed sparks and honked. The family then saw smoke and pulled over on Honda Drive, off Highway 17 near a Bojangle's restaurant and Coca-cola plant. It happened at about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, the official said.
The family was able to escape without injuries, the official added. But the van is a total loss. Investigators are working to determine what caused the fire, but believe it may be linked to a mechanical issue in the rear of the vehicle, according to the official.
- Updated No election fears: Consumer confidence hits 9-year high
- Updated Senate blocks bill to stop shutdown
- Updated WHO: Americas officially free from measles
- Updated The Fed under attack, but still profitable for taxpayers
- Updated Laundromat with a classroom: Charleston's outreach to underserved kids