JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Three Onslow County schools were put on lockdown because of what sounded like gunshots. But it turned out to be a false alarm.
According to a school official, Northside High School, Jacksonville Commons Middle School and Jacksonville Commons Elementary School were all put on lockdown Monday morning. But the sounds that prompted the lockdowns turned out to be a tractor backfiring, the official said.
The lockdowns did not last longer than 10 minutes, the school official said. Classes have since resumed.
- New Get ready for this year's N.C. Seafood Festival! It opens Friday.
- Updated Obama says Congress made a 'mistake' overriding his veto of Saudi lawsuit bill
- Coast Guard suspends search for missing Cuban migrants
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.