JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Three Onslow County schools were put on lockdown because of what sounded like gunshots. But it turned out to be a false alarm.
According to a school official, Northside High School, Jacksonville Commons Middle School and Jacksonville Commons Elementary School were all put on lockdown Monday morning. But the sounds that prompted the lockdowns turned out to be a tractor backfiring, the official said.
The lockdowns did not last longer than 10 minutes, the school official said. Classes have since resumed.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew