DUPLIN COUNTY - The Duplin County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 71-year-old who was reportedly struggling in a pond Thursday evening.
The person was fishing off a kayak, and the incident appears to be accidental, Sheriff Blake Wallace said.
According to Pink Hill Volunteer Fire & Rescue, crews received a call at about 6 p.m. Thursday of a person struggling in the water at Maxwell's Mill Pond. The scene is at Maxwell Mill Park on Maxwell's Mill Campground Road, west of Pink Hill
When crews arrived at the scene, the person was out of the water, fire officials said. Crews tried to perform lifesaving measures, but the person died.
The exact cause of death is under investigation, officials said. The victim's identity has not been released.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend