WILMINGTON, NEW HANOVER COUNTY - Police say an off-duty Fayetteville Police officer has been charged with driving while impaired in Wilmington.
Wilmington Police said an officer stopped 32-year-old Kevin Smith around 1:10 a.m. Sunday and investigators notified police in Fayetteville as soon as they determined Smith was a law enforcement officer.
Smith has been placed on administrative leave and an internal investigation will also be conducted.
A phone listing for Smith couldn't be found and it wasn't known if he had a lawyer.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Stranded mariners saved after writing 'SOS' in the sand
- Updated Yellowstone National Park worker falls to death
- Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her