NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH, ONSLOW COUNTY - North Topsail Beach's Board of Alderman is holding a special meeting to discuss the loss of 900 feet of dunes because of weather and tides.
The Daily News of Jacksonville reports the board will meet Friday morning to discuss possible solutions to beach erosion caused by winter storms, unusual tides and two offshore hurricanes.
Town clerk Carin Faulkner says possible solutions include installing a barrier system made of filter weave fabric. She says the board earlier this month approved construction of a sand berm with a 20-foot base and 12-foot height at a cost of more than $114,000.
- Updated Christopher Suggs takes action against gun violence in Kinston
- Updated Eerily quiet: 38 days of near-silence for stocks
- Updated Chris Brown arrest adds to troubled history
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump