JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY -

A retired New River Marine lost both his home and his dog in a Jacksonville fire.

The fire happened at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Aragona Village neighborhood of Jacksonville, at the corner of Jasmine Lane and Sycamore Drive.

(CLICK: More photos of Jacksonville fire.)

According to the homeowner, John Wells, he was cooking when he fell asleep. His smoke alarm later woke him up.

"The smoke alarms went off," Wells said. "So I get up, try to smother the fire, but it was just out of control by the time I got up. I'm just grateful --grateful I got out."

But Wells said his 5-year-old pit bull died in the fire.

"Just couldn't get my dog. I tried to get him out. He wouldn't come. I don't know if the smoke got to him or the heat from the fire. But he didn't make it," Wells said.

The blaze also destroyed Wells' home and damaged his vehicle.

Wells says he's thankful for his neighbors who are helping him during this difficult time.

"My neighbors ran over, they saw the smoke coming out the garage, so they were coming in the house calling my name trying to get me out, and I had my neighbors to call 911," Wells said. "It means a lot to me. They were there. They know I lost everything. So they try to help me out."

The American Red Cross has arranged Wells to stay in a hotel for a few days. Those who wish to donate can contact the Onslow County chapter of the Red Cross at 910-347-3581.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Officials say nobody was injured in a Jacksonville house fire Tuesday night.

The fire happened around 6:30 p.m. in the Aragona Village neighborhood of Jacksonville, at the corner of Jasmine Lane and Sycamore Drive.

EMS officials say residents were inside the home at the time it caught fire, but everyone escaped without injuries.

NewsChannel 12 is working to find out more details about the fire.