BELHAVEN, BEAUFORT COUNTY - There's a new development in the fight to keep Vidant Pungo Hospital open in Belhaven.
Pantego Creek, LLC, the company that oversaw Vidant's takeover of the hospital in 2011 said Monday it will not agree to an extension for the town of Belhaven to assume control.
Vidant announced last September that it would close Pungo Hospital within six months and replace it with a new 24-hour care facility.
But Vidant and the town of Belhaven signed an agreement early this year to have Belhaven assume control of the hospital by July 1.
Now, there is a new proposal to extend that deadline to Dec. 31.
Pantego Creek says it will not accept that amendment, saying it has strong doubts about the long-term viability of the hospital.
- Updated Dog recovering after being hit by hunting arrow
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'