BELHAVEN, BEAUFORT COUNTY - There's a new development in the fight to keep Vidant Pungo Hospital open in Belhaven.
Pantego Creek, LLC, the company that oversaw Vidant's takeover of the hospital in 2011 said Monday it will not agree to an extension for the town of Belhaven to assume control.
Vidant announced last September that it would close Pungo Hospital within six months and replace it with a new 24-hour care facility.
But Vidant and the town of Belhaven signed an agreement early this year to have Belhaven assume control of the hospital by July 1.
Now, there is a new proposal to extend that deadline to Dec. 31.
Pantego Creek says it will not accept that amendment, saying it has strong doubts about the long-term viability of the hospital.
- Officials: No threat following claims of man with a gun inside Walmart
- Officials investigating after two bodies found inside home that caught fire
- Five suspects in Lenoir County home invasion now in custody
- Down East Wood Ducks announce roster for start of season
- Updated NC State star Dennis Smith declares for draft