SMITHFIELD - (AP) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is returning to North Carolina on behalf of Republican gubernatorial nominee Pat McCrory for an evening of barbecue and bluegrass that also will feature dozens of GOP officials and candidates.
McCrory, Christie and U.S. Sen. Richard Burr were headlining the Friday evening barbecue at a tobacco warehouse in Smithfield. Thousands were expected to attend the free dinner, although the Johnston County Republican Party planned to take donations at the door. More than 4,000 attended a similar event in 2010.
Christie has visited North Carolina for McCrory's bid for governor twice before, most recently in September.
The event came one day after Democratic nominee Walter Dalton worked the crowd at the famous Mallard Creek church barbecue in Charlotte.
- Updated Brexit: 4.2 million migrants still wait to learn their fate
- New Onslow County man facing larceny, other charges
- Updated Iraqi forces take key village near airport from ISIS
- Updated 'Stand your ground' hearing opens in Fla. theater shooting
- New Winterville Police looking for suspect in Subway robbery