SMITHFIELD - (AP) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is returning to North Carolina on behalf of Republican gubernatorial nominee Pat McCrory for an evening of barbecue and bluegrass that also will feature dozens of GOP officials and candidates.
McCrory, Christie and U.S. Sen. Richard Burr were headlining the Friday evening barbecue at a tobacco warehouse in Smithfield. Thousands were expected to attend the free dinner, although the Johnston County Republican Party planned to take donations at the door. More than 4,000 attended a similar event in 2010.
Christie has visited North Carolina for McCrory's bid for governor twice before, most recently in September.
The event came one day after Democratic nominee Walter Dalton worked the crowd at the famous Mallard Creek church barbecue in Charlotte.
- Updated Police monitoring crosswalks and school zones on first day
- Updated Mark Zuckerberg hopes to demo his AI butler next month
- Updated Woman sues Milwaukee Brewers over foul ball incident
- Updated Japan's first passenger jet had a nightmare weekend
- Updated Study: Most adults with depression aren't treated