NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - NewsChannel 12 will be hosting the 37th annual Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Telethon this weekend.
The telethon will be broadcast live from the Family Life Center of the First Baptist Church in downtown New Bern. It will air on Saturday, Aug. 9 from 6:30 p.m. to midnight on NewsChannel 12.
WCTI-TV has been doing the Cystic Fibrosis Telethon in August of every year since 1977. It's the nation's largest all-volunteer telethon and the only telethon for cystic fibrosis.
Hosted by Wes Goforth, Valentina Wilson, Skip Waters, and the entire NewsChannel 12 anchor team, this year's telethon will showcase more than 20 performance acts from throughout Eastern Carolina.
Funds raised will support research for cystic fibrosis, conducted primarily in North Carolina. Last year's telethon raised $412,835.
CF is a life-threatening genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system, according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. There is no cure.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation says an estimated 30,000 children and adults in the United States suffer from CF.
- Updated How Syrian activists use WhatsApp to tell the world their stories
- Investigators: MH17 shot down by Buk missile brought in from Russia
- Billionaire: Chinese real estate is 'biggest bubble in history'
- Controversial 3-parent baby technique produces a boy
- Government workers banned from entering NC due to House Bill 2