RICHLANDS, ONSLOW COUNTY - The Highway Patrol released the identity of a New River Marine killed in a wreck Monday morning, just two weeks before his 19th birthday.
According to investigators, 18-year-old Christopher Jonas Navarro, of North Chesterfield, Va., died form his injuries. Navarro was driving towards Jacksonville, on U.S. 258, near A.I. Taylor Road, just before 4:30 a.m. Monday, when he lost control of his car and hit a culvert in a ditch, said Sgt. R.E. Dudley. The vehicle then went airborne and flipped several times, ejecting the victim.
Navarro died at the scene, Dudley said. He was not wearing a seat belt and high speed was a factor.
There was no immediate sign of alcohol, said Trooper R.E. Dudley. Investigators are waiting on a toxicology report.
Navarro's birthday is on May 5.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew