NEW RIVER AIR STATION - Marine Corps Air Station New River reported an ordnance department chief died Thursday after conducting personal physical training.
Master Gunnery Sergeant James J. Petrongelli, 46, was rushed to Onslow Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 10:45 Thursday morning., base officials said. His cause of death was under investigation.
Petrongelli joined the Marine Corps in 1983 and was promoted to his current rank in 2008.
He was a native of Chicago Heights, Illinois.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend