SURF CITY, ONSLOW COUNTY - The new Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center is opening to the public.
The StarNews of Wilmington reports the new hospital in Surf City will open for tours on Thursday. Meanwhile, more than 30 turtles continue to receive care at the former hospital on the mainland side of Surf City.
Jean Beasley opened the hospital in a 900-square-foot building on Topsail Island in 1997. The new hospital is more than 13,000 square feet.
Another change: the hospital now charges admission fees of $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and active-duty military and $3 for children.
Beasley hasn't decided how long the new facility will remain open for tours. Tours are from noon until 4 p.m. daily except Wednesdays and Sundays.
- Updated 7 memorable presidential debate moments
- Updated Miami Marlins to honor star pitcher Jose Fernandez
- Updated High school football player dies two days after injury in game
- Updated Governor visits Bertie County to assess flood damage
- Updated Obama dons hat, blanket during Tribal Nations ceremony