GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - East Carolina University officially has a new police chief.
Gerald Lewis Jr. was sworn in as police chief in a ceremony at the university on Thursday.
Lewis was a 26 year veteran of the New Jersey State Police.
Lewis says he has been integrating himself into the community, already working with other law enforcement agencies, such as Greenville Police Department and Pitt County Sheriff's Office.
"It's a great feeling to be officially sworn in, and it's a great feeling to have my officers here, and they've done a wonderful job," said Lewis.
Lewis says he plans to up crime prevention and awareness within the student body.
"Sometimes they think that we live in a utopia where nothing happens and they leave their computers around, they leave their iPhones around," said Lewis.
Lewis says he has two children in college. He plans to treat every student at East Carolina as one of his own.
ECU's website says Lewis will have 60 full-time officers under his command.
- Updated 10,000 stinging wasps make colossal nest in English country house
- Updated Jury finds second suspect guilty of triple murder at Farmville store
- Updated 7 Memorable Presidential Debate Moments
- Police: Man arrested and charged 29 years after alleged rape
- Clinton and Trump: Who's on the debate guest list