New Bern Mayor Lee Bettis conducted his first Board of Aldermen meeting Tuesday night since taking some time off last month. Mayor Pro Tem Sabrina Bengel had been serving in his place.
Bettis was arrested on a DWI charge in Havelock May 6. Two days later, allegations surfaced of a domestic assault at his home. That's when Bettis announced he was taking some time off from his job as mayor.
Alderman Victor Taylor tells NewsChannel 12 he talked to the city attorney Tuesday night to see if he could bring up the issues involving Mayor Bettis, but Taylor says he was advised those issues could not be discussed at the meeting.
Aldermen plan to vote on the city's budget next week.
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated Camp Lejeune reports death of Marine in Beulaville
- Updated NFL clears three more players in PEDs investigation
- Updated Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list
- Updated Onslow County Sheriff's Office seeking missing person