NEW BERN - On the last day of school before the holiday break, New Bern High School celebrated its state football championship. The school assembled just after 10 a.m. Friday in the gymnasium for a pep rally to celebrate. The Bears defeated the Porter Ridge Pirates by one point in the final minutes of the game.
The New Bern Bears defeated the Porter Ridge Pirates by just one point to win the 4A state football championship at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill Friday night.
The two teams exchanged touchdowns for most of the game, which was tied 21-21 at the half. But Porter Ridge went up 38-33 with about six minutes to go.
Bears senior quarterback Josh Taylor than engineered an 87-yard drive, and his team scored a touchdown with just 26 seconds left to play.
The New Bern Bears were able to edge out the Pirates, 39-38. The Bears finished their season 15-0.
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- Updated 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Manchester Arena attack: 8-year-old girl among the dead at Ariana Grande concert
- Cops and Barbers event set for Tuesday in Greenville